The Mint was originally built in 1811 as a hospital, before later becoming the first branch of the Royal Mint outside Britain. The refurbishment project entailed the sensitive restoration of the original buildings and their adaptation to become the headquarters of the Historic Houses Trust, as well as the construction of a new auditorium and café.
Steensen Varming provided the mechanical, electrical and communications services and sustainable design, as well as specialist lighting design. The Mint has won over 17 awards since the refurbishment. In 2008 it was listed as one of the top 30 groundbreaking buildings in the world, by the Chartered Institute of Building Engineers.
- Sulman Award for Public Architecture
- Greenway Award for Conservation
- Energy Management Award
- IES Lighting Design Award of Excellence