Situated in the former Marrickville Hospital site, the new Marrickville Library Community Hub consists of a large library, community and cultural facilities with open spaces and residential apartments. Marrickville Library aims to bring together all the facilities of a contemporary public library, including a broad range of community resources such as meeting rooms, auditorium and workshops which converge around a new public open space providing a new gathering space for the precinct and for the community at large. The development is sympathetic to the heritage listed original hospital building which has been retained and restored and seamlessly integrates old and new.
Steensen Varming provided Mechanical, Electrical, Lighting Design, ESD and Lift services on the basebuild and fitout, with a specific focus on sustainability with recycled elements and design features that reduce energy consumption.
- 2020 Australian Institute of Architects NSW Architecture Awards:
- NSW Premier’s Prize
- Milo Dunphy Award for Sustainable Architecture
- NSW People’s Choice Award for Life in 2020
- Public Architecture Award
- William E Kemp Award for Educational Architecture
- 2020 Built Environment Awards: Marrickville Medal for Conservation Commendation
- 2020 Sustainable Build Awards: Highly Commended